How to Close a Gym Membership Sale at Anytime, Under Any Circumstances
By: Jim Thomas
President/Founder of Fitness Management and Consulting
You just never know when things will change. You get transferred to another club. You have a new boss. Your company is sold. Even if things just seem to be going crazy in the gym you have worked at for years. Things change, but the expectation of sales production remains.
Here are some tips to help you make the membership sale no matter what the circumstances;
- Attitude is everything. The key to remember here is that it?s more important how you feel about your prospect than how they feel about you. You can?t let crazy circumstances change you. The positive expectancy to win. The will to make it happen. No negatives, attitude is paramount. If this is not in place, you can?t even get started.
- Have commitment in your posture and voice. You want to be using words like great! Fantastic! Terrific! Show confidence!
- Have enthusiasm that conveys conviction and belief. It?s been said many times that the definition of sales is a transfer of feelings or a transfer of enthusiasm. It really goes beyond just enthusiasm; it?s your passion, your belief and your conviction for what you do that means you can?t be swayed otherwise.
- You must be sold. You must be sold that your company is the best. You have the best product and best service. You?re the best person to help them get the results they want. You?re sold on the value you bring to your customer. You are unreasonable to the point that nothing can be said that will change how you think.
- Always agree first with your prospect. This is senior to everything you do in the sales process. Always be agreeable. Don?t defend your position. Certainly don?t tell your customer they?re wrong. Be agreeable. Mary, I understand. Mary, I agree with you. Even if your customer says they didn?t come to join today, you say, ?Mary, I understand, most of our guests don?t come to join when they first come in.? Then follow your sales process.
- Be sure you are getting daily training. Be sure you are getting daily training. If your club is providing this great, if not, be sure to get it on your own. Daily training will add a sale a day to your production.
Now, go close a sale!
Jim Thomas is the founder and president of Fitness Management USA Inc., a management consulting and turnaround firm specializing in the fitness and health club industry. With more than 25 years of experience owning, operating and managing clubs of all sizes, Thomas lectures and delivers seminars and workshops across the country on the practical skills required to successfully build teamwork and market fitness programs and products. Learn more here: Jim Thomas On Demand